Soft Tissue Injuries In The Mouth
Your lips and gums are part of your mouth’s soft tissues, which include a large number of blood vessels. The blood vessels are why when an injury happens in these specific areas, they easily bleed.
Though the bleeding can stop in minutes, it often makes the injury look much worse than it actually is.
Examples of soft tissues injuries in the mouth include:
Common Causes of Soft Tissue Injuries in the Mouth
- Biting down on your lip accidentally
- Falling on your face/mouth area
- Chewing on very hard objects
- Contact during sports and other activities
- Drinking too hot drinks
- Vehicular accidents
First Aid for Soft Tissue Injuries
- Make a saline solution by mixing one-half teaspoon salt in a cup of water
- If the bleeding continues, apply pressure using a clean piece of cloth of gauze against the area for 10 to 15 minutes
- Hold ice to the area for 10 minutes to alleviate pain and reduce swelling
- See a dentist immediately
Treatment for soft tissue mouth injuries can range from conservative care, to stitching and conscious sedation. A dentist will thoroughly clean the area and determine if the teeth are loose or damaged. If no teeth are damaged, the dentist will stitch the wound to close it and control the bleeding. The dentist also makes sure that the area is free from any debris to prevent further infection.
Soft Tissue Injuries Treatment at DentArana
DentArana is open from Monday to Saturday for your dental emergency needs. Call our Arana Hills clinic as soon as possible to schedule an emergency appointment. We also provide dental emergency services for patients from Keperra, Arana Hills, Everton Park and Ferny Hills.
Contact us on (07) 3351 3366 or visit us at Shop 5 Patricks Place, Corner Dawson Parade and Patricks Road in Arana Hills.