Children’s Dental Emergencies
Children are prone to a variety of accidents and injuries. Their active and carefree lifestyle can occasionally cause them to hurt themselves.
Mouth injuries are very common among younger children and teenagers, which is why having a basic knowledge of dental first aid can help children avoid tooth loss and other dental problems.
If your child has a dental emergency, call your DentArana dentist on (07) 3351 3366 as soon as possible so we can address your emergency needs right away.
How To Handle Common Children’s Dental Emergencies
- Have your child rinse their mouth with warm salt water
- If you see a swelling, apply a cold compress against the affected area
- Avoid putting a medicine on the affected tooth or surrounding gum tissue
- Floss or brush your child’s teeth to dislodge any food debris
- Call your dentist immediately
- Recover the tooth immediately
- Don’t touch the root and hold the crown only
- Gently clean the tooth with water, but avoid scrubbing or scraping the tooth
- For older children, the tooth can be reinserted into its socket with gentle pressure
- For younger children, put the tooth in a glass or container filled with milk or saliva
- Keep the tooth moist during transportation as this is critical for the success of reimplantation
Chipped or Broken Tooth
- Rinse the injured area with clean, warm water
- Apply direct pressure on the bleeding using any clean cloth
- Put a cold compress on the part of the face where the injury occurred
- If possible, collect the broken tooth fragments and bring them to the dentist
- Visit a dental clinic right away
- Use a pencil eraser to move the offending wire into place, working slowly to avoid breaking the wire
- Go to the dentist immediately
- Cover the edges with cotton or gauze while on the way to the dental clinic
Child Dental Emergency Care at DentArana
DentArana is open from Monday to Saturday for your dental emergency needs. Call our Arana Hills clinic as soon as possible to schedule an emergency appointment.